{24} Today I'm especially thankful...

by - Thursday, November 24, 2011

for this day, this celebration that is
Thanksgiving.

thankful-25 - Thanksgiving

On this day that is only (correct me if I'm wrong) celebrated in a country that I love so much, I am grateful for such a celebration: saying thanks is often taken for granted and it's an important educational element that will help every one of us grow kinder and wiser.

I remember, when I was young, my Mom telling me to say thanks anytime she or another person was giving me something. And I remember not forgetting too much. I probably should have said it more to my brothers and sisters though...
I now teaches my nieces to say it too.

I realize how important it is to be polite, to always be grateful for what we have and for what we are. When I complain, I sometimes think twice before doing it again. I do have all those things that we really take for granted: water, a house, warmth, clothes, love, a family, even two, food, even I'm lucky to be alive. So many people don't have this chance and I try to never forget it. When I have an impulsive shopping spree coming, I make two lists: do I need it? what is it for? Most of the time the first answer is no and the second is so shallow.

Of course, I'm no way near perfect and have big necessities that are not. Of course I buy more food than necessary, I buy stuff that I don't need. I'm in this roller-coaster that is today's society of buying anything for our comfort and self-satisfaction.
But I'm learning. I'm learning to let go and think more. I'm learning that little things, words, gestures count. I'm learning to be more selfless and enjoy what I have then. I'm learning to also make things look prettier by just adding a touch of myself. I'm learning that memories are very important and I know how I want to be remembered. I'm learning to be more patient and more understandable.

No, no, it's not easy. And it's not all. But learning is one good way, isn't it?

I wish all of you a beautiful, memorable, fun and happy Thanksgiving.

What are you thankful for this year?

You May Also Like

0 little notes